Disclaimer: Before anyone takes this personally, I want to be clear about a few things. This is not an attack on all single people, not all single people give bad advice, yes, some people who are perpetually single are extremely happy, and yes, you don’t need someone to date to be happy. Any other projecting cliches? Let me know in the comments.
I love medium!
I love reading, specifically about relationships, love, romance, and other advice related to interpersonal dynamics. I do this every day cause I write every day, I’ve always been passionate about dating and relationships, and I feel like there are a lot of people lost, much like I was a couple of years ago.
But if there’s one thing I find so frustrating is these self-proclaimed “dating and relationship experts” who tout out damaging information from a lens of unbridled bias. . I find it so damaging because negativity is such a seductive force to constantly be surrounded by. That’s why a lot of these experts have such large followings because misery loves company.
I also want to be very clear when I say this is very much male and female “experts.”
I’ll give you a few examples:
- The other day I came across an article talking about dating and age differences and how there should be no more than a 5-year age gap.
- Says who!? Anyone at a consensual age is free to do as they please, and it will never be anyone’s business but the very people in the relationship. But this “expert” would have anyone wasting thousands of opportunities because of THEIR opinion.
- The same day I read an article about why “a man paying for the first date means he’s interested.”
- Again, what!? Says who? Everyone is wired differently. Most men only pay cause we know we have to. We don’t always want to, especially when we don’t even know how many other options she has. But again, this is MY opinion, and in most of my articles, I make sure I make that crystal clear.
- Or another piece, “men only like women they can dominate.”